Saturday, November 19, 2011

Grandpa Sher

My Grandpa Adams (also known as Grandpa Sher) passed away a couple of weeks ago! He had been fighting cancer for the last 4 1/2 yrs, and is finally feeling lots better in Heaven! It was so sad to see him go, but such a happy time for him to be reunited with his loved ones! I had went to see him a few days before he died and he just did not look like my Grandpa. Grandpa Sher was always the "young" Grandpa that would get down on the floor and play with us, push us on swings, play sports with us, and was always running around, so it was so sad to see him laying there helpless! It just wasn't him, and he was DEF not happy with his state! He kept telling me over and over "ah, Hell! I don't know what to do, I'm just layin' here" haha I'll always remember the funny things he was always saying and his big ole' smile!

I didn't know what I was going to do with Koleman. I didn't neccessarily want him to see my grandpa in his Casket, but didn't know how to keep him out of the room. First thing when we got to the mortuary he ran into the room and just stopped and looked at him! So I went and picked him up and said "do you know who that is" and he says "ganpa" Then he kept looking at him and said "oh shoot, ganpa nigh, nigh" I was a little surprised at his knowledge of what was going on. The next day at the funeral they asked any of the grandkids that wanted to to come up and say their goodbyes to Grandpa. So a few of us went up, and I was holding Koleman. Without any prompting to do it Koleman said "bye bye ganpa" and blew him a kiss! It was the sweetest thing that has ever come out of my little boys mouth! It amazes me how much the little ones know, and the special spirit they can bring to such a hard time!!

They had a beautiful service for my grandpa! Kali and I felt like it was a Kali/Lashel show, because we are the only grandkids that have any music capabillities! So we had to play and/or sing all of the songs, but it was good to be able to play one last time for grandpa! A few months before he died he got me and my sister together and told us he wanted us to play a "duet, how we do" at his funeral. So that's what we did! :) The graveside service was so sweet! They had the military guns do their thing, and my dad played the taps! It was so special and exactly what my grandpa wanted!






I have to document this! My Grandma is AMAZING and hilarious! Right after this man finished presenting her the flag, I mean right after his lips touched together my grandma says "thanks, now you make sure you and your friends over there come back after the service, now I mean it you and your friends come eat, ok we have lots and lots of food!" The poor guy was trying SO hard not to smile and keep a straight face, and said yes ma'am! The second he turned to walk away, which happened to be toward me, he got the biggest smile on his face and started chuckling!
It made everyone get a good laugh!

These crows did a sweet fly over and circled around us twice during the service!

Cute lil' K-man and his blank that was shot out of one of the guns!
(It's not to eat dude)


We love you and will miss you lots Grandpa Sher!! :) Kisses in heaven!

5 comments:

Portia said...

i love this post Lashel... I love the little add in about your grandma telling the military man to come over and eat. Honestly I had to fight the tears. I cant imagine loosing my husband and still being so sweet and thoughtful. She must be a wonderful lady!

The brackens said...

not gonna lie, I balled through the whole thing while reading it! Especially Koleman's little part in it! He is smart!!! I cant imagine what goes through their minds! Your Grandma is so funny.. and so strong! Love ya all!

jenn said...

Lashel!! I didn't even notice the birds when we were there! How neat

Woods Family said...

geez shel, made me start crying! How special this service sounded, as is your family. Love you guys!

Shanley said...

So sad to hear about your Grandpa. He is such an awesome man. So cute about your grandma and I wish I could have been there to hear you and Kali. You are both so dang talented. I love your whole family so much!